Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A is your inpatient Hospital, Hospice, Home Health Care, and Skilled Nursing Facility
With the exception of some maintenance prescription drugs and the deductible, Medicare Part A generally
covers the in-patient hospital charges for the first 60 days. There is no 20% co-insurance for Part A. For days 61-150 Medicare generally covers
all but the maintenance drugs and a daily co-pay. Medicare provides no coverage past 150 days. A Medicare
Supplement extends the hospital coverage 365 more days.
The deductibles and co-pays for 2014 are:
- The Part A deductible for 2014 is $1,216 for each separate 60 day period of confinement.
- For days 61-90 your daily co-pay is $304 per day.
- For days 90-150 your daily co-pay is $608 per day. These are your 60 lifetime
reserve days and can only be used once.
- Inpatient benefits are exhausted after 150 continuous days, or 90 days if lifetime
reserve days were previously used.
- Your daily co-pay for a skilled nursing facility is $152.00 per day for days 21-100.
There is no coverage for skilled nursing for more than 100 days. Nursing home custodial care is not covered by Medicare at all.