Durable Medicare Equipment covered by Medicare?

shutterstock 1246815313

Share this Content

Medicare covers multiple healthcare needs, including durable medical equipment. These types of items are covered under Part B of Medicare. There are certain things you should know about how Part B works when trying to get these pieces of equipment covered. Read on to learn more. 

Medical Equipment Covered

First things first, below is a list of medical equipment covered by Medicare. Your doctor must prescribe these items or indicate that they are medically necessary. Medicare covers: 

  • Blood sugar meters 
  • Blood sugar test strips
  • Canes 
  • Commode chairs
  • Continuous passive motion devices 
  • Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices
  • Crutches
  • Hospital beds
  • Home infusion services
  • Infusion pumps & supplies
  • Lancet devices & lancets
  • Nebulizers & nebulizer medications
  • Oxygen equipment & accessories
  • Patient lifts 
  • Pressure-reducing support surfaces
  • Suction pumps
  • Traction equipment
  • Walkers
  • Wheelchairs & scooters 

This is not an exhaustive list. Medicare may cover more items depending on your needs.

Medicare Part B

There are four parts to Medicare: Parts A, B, C, and D. Parts A and B are standardized plans offered by the federal government. Parts C and D are highly individualized plans offered by private insurers. Each part covers a different type of healthcare need. Since Medicare Part B covers medical equipment, we will focus on Part B here. 

Part B covers outpatient services such as doctor’s visits, preventive services, tests, and equipment. It is associated with certain costs. You have to pay a monthly premium, $148.50 in 2021, although it does increase if your income is high compared to others. You are also subjected to an annual deductible of $203. One major caveat to part B is that Medicare will pay up to 80% of the cost of your healthcare under Part B. However, you are responsible for the remaining 20%. That means that if you require medical equipment, Medicare will only pay for 80% of that piece of equipment. This can quickly add up. Many people purchase a supplement plan that will cover the remaining 20%. 

Medicare Part B is a portion of Medicare that most people purchase to cover vital health services such as outpatient doctors’ office visits and medical equipment. If you are unsure about whether your needs will be met by Part B, contact us at Bobby Brock Insurance today for a consultation. 

Related Blog Posts

Picture of Justin Brock

Justin Brock

President & CEO of Bobby Brock Insurance