Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A is inpatient hospital insurance. It helps pay for medically necessary inpatient hospital stays. Part A also helps pay for some home health care and hospice care.
Inpatient hospital care is subject to a $1,340 deductible for each 60 day benefit period. If you are still in the hospital after 60 days, you will be required to pay a daily copayment between $335 and $670 until the 150th day when your hospital coverage ends.
A Medigap policy will pick up and pay an additional 365 days after Medicare runs out.
In general, Medicare Part A pays:
- Hospital stays
- Critical access hospitals
- Inpatient rehabilitation facilities
- Inpatient care in a religious, non-medical health care institution
- Skilled nursing facility care
- Nursing home care (as long as custodial care isn’t the only care needed)
- Hospice care
- Home health services
- Lab tests, X-rays and radiation treatment received as an inpatient