Medicare Part B

Medicare Part B is called Medical on your card, but what it really means is outpatient insurance. It helps pay for medically necessary services performed on an outpatient basis that are needed to diagnose and treat a medical condition. It also covers preventive services.

Medicare Part B covers 80% of covered costs after you meet the deductible ($183 for 2018), and you would pay the other 20%, but a  Medigap policy will cover the 20% for you.

When should you sign up?

You should sign up when you’re first eligible, unless you have other coverage to pay the 80% such as an employer group plan. If you don’t, your monthly premium may be higher when you do sign up, and you will have to wait until the yearly general enrollment period.

Is there a monthly premium for Part B?

Yes, you need to pay the Part B premium each month. The amount you pay can change each year and may be different depending on your income. Your Part B premium may come out of your Social Security benefits, or you may get a monthly bill. The standard monthly premium in 2018 is $134, but can be as high as $428 per month for high income individuals.

In general, Part B covers:

  • Doctor services
  • Outpatient care
  • Home health services
  • Durable medical equipment
  • Clinical research
  • Ambulance services
  • Mental health services
  • Second opinions before surgery
  • Home health services
  • Preventive services such as physical exams, screenings and flu shots
  • Some physical and occupational therapy to prevent or lessen complications from an existing medical problem
  • Medicare approved chemotherapy and radiation for cancer

What’s not covered:

  • Dental, vision or hearing care, except in very limited situations
  • Care received outside the United States, except in very limited situations
  • Custodial care such as help with eating, bathing or dressing
  • Prescriptions
  • Routine Dental Vision & Hearing benefits
  • Some new cancer treatments. Additional cancer coverage is a available from our company to supplement this benefit
CALL TODAY 662-844-3300